Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Free text to speech
Multimedia and digital storytelling
Study skills tools
Tools That Compensate for Handwriting Issues
Additional free tools
Free text to speech
Why consider Text-to-speech (TTS)? Two reasons
1. It is essential for struggling readers; when text is digital it is now accessible and
supports the writing process, especially when editing and revising work
Note: Our databases are adding text-to-speech features for their articles. Check out
Joyce's blog post
. Ask your librarian if the school offers any of the Gale products with text-to-speech features.
(TTS) with highlighting built in for iPads running
6 or 7. You must turn it on.
Settings > General
> Accessibility > Speak Selection > On > Highlight Words. Adjust the "Speaking Rate" to what works
Without at doubt, the
option is the
Read and Write for Google Chrome
extension. It's the reason to use Chrome. Show every student! They can listen to their work as part of the editing process. AND, it adds a browser add-on which allows you to listen to any text read to you, single words, paragraphs or whole pages.
- a Google Chrome Extension which reads any
. One unique feature - it blurs the paragraphs that aren't being read so you can focus on the paragraph that you are listening to.
-free for the Google Chrome browser. Supports multiple languages
- Free text-to-speech download, can also download a portable version that runs off a USB thumb drive
can save as wav or MP3 file.
- scroll down for a very cool free text-to-speech AND speech-to-text tool. PC only
My Study Bar
- includes text to speech features, PC only.
- another free text-to-speech software program which converts any written text to speech (Word, pdf,
(scroll to the free download) PC only.
for color choices, highlighting of words or sentences as they are read.
- free text-to-speech for PowerPoint presentations
Read The Words
- Register first, upload file or choose
to read, a recording is generated which you can listen to online or download to an mp3 player, upload to a blog, etc. Very Cool tool worth letting your students explore.
- a free Firefox extension for the
converts text in Firefox to audio
- online text-to-speech MP3 converter
- there is a free version and a pay version.
Simultaneous Stanza Reader
is a free large font reader for Macintosh OS X that speaks text files aloud and displays the text stanza-after-stanza, simultaneously. The program works well with free books from
. Watch a
quick introductory Video here
Text to Speech
(offers a variety of languages)
The Freedom Stick
- download PC or Mac Version, provides a full suite of accessible
- a free program that allows educators and students to create and share online avatars using text-to-speech technology. Voki works from any and anyone can place a
in a blog, website, or send in an email. Voki is being
now (late 2010) and is offering more tools for educators.
- a free text-to-speech program for the PC that works within WORD and Outlook and highlights each word that is read. Includes a talking spell checker and a talking thesaurus.
was upgraded in January 2009 and now includes the ability to save, and you can convert your text file to a wav or MP3 file. Makes this free download even more valuable. (Seems to be trickier with Office 2010 and Vista or Windows 7)
- Listen to important documents, PowerPoint presentations, emails, RSS feeds, blogs and novels.
multi-lingual (English, Spanish, French
) and brings you the world's best text-to-speech (TTS) synthesis technologies. Easily converts to podcasts.
Free Speech-to-Text (Speech Recognition)
It is built into Windows 7 and 8 and Mountain Lion Operating Systems
If your student has a Smartphone, it is probably built in.
Speech Recognition is built into the latest iPod Touches and iPads. When you are connected to wifi, use the microphone key on the keyboard to use it. To turn on speech recognition, go to
> Siri > ON
on smart devices, Google Voice is available - allows you to speak your search.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"